Monday, October 3, 2011

Goosebumps month is here

I want this exact picture on the biography page of any book I ever write.
To be entirely honest, a good portion of this blog is dedicated to allowing me to reminisce over the many things from my past that I love ironically. From T.G.I.F. to Pogs and most of the shows Nickelodeon produced back in the day, this has been a dream come true in terms of self deprecating humor and nostalgia.

But for all of the things that I love ironically, there is one which I kind of put on this list, even though I truly enjoyed it (and am still pretty fascinated by it): Goosebumps.


Like many of the other things I talk about on this space, I was very much obsessed with Goosebumps as a kid. It’s a weird thing, because as older adolescent I was not at all into “scary” things and as an adult it is very difficult to get me to even sit through a trailer for a scary movie.

But Goosebumps was different. Not only were they incredibly popular, but the scares were mostly tame and the characters, while fairly stock, were easy enough to relate to as a child of the 1990s. (Oh, and these kids are as 1990s as they come. If John Hughes was able to find the voice of teens during the 1980s then R.L. Stine was able to do it -- and maybe better -- in the 90s.)

So after more than a decade of not reading an R.L. Stine book I have decided that for the month of October I will pay tribute to the book series that engrossed a generation. Each week I plan to review two of Stine’s children horror lit classics (with the exception of this week, sorry).

As of writing this I am now almost two books down, and I can at least say that so far into this adventure, this is one of my favorite ideas -- I can’t wait for all of you to take part in it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment